1961 The Campus 50th Anniversary Edition |
Previous | 12 of 291 | Next |
|
|
This page
All
|
GRAPE VINES graced the front of the college shortly after completion. H. A. Barkelew donated 10 acres—mostly in vines—for the new campus in 1912. It was an extension of Van Ness Avenue, a half mile north of the city limits. The campus was dedicated November 17, 1916. THE INNER COURT of the $350,000 Fresno State Normal School nears completion on March 9, 1916. The school today is the Fresno City College. ARTHUR G. WAHLBERG, professor emeritus of music, is the only living member of the 1911 faculty. FIRST CAMPUS IS LOCATED ON VINEYARD SITE By donation the normal school acquired ten acres of land just north of the city limits for the purpose of erecting buildings. The legislature of 1913 appropriated $10,000 for the purchase of an additional five-acre tract adjacent" to the original site. Two other appropriations were made by the same legislature; first, $10,000 for the improvement of the new site and erection of temporary buildings, next, $370,000 for the construction of permanent buildings. On the site of the present campus, which was a dying vineyard in 1913, frame buildings were erected and at the end of the summer vacation in September the normal school moved into its new home. The wooden buildings were the class rooms and laboratories for the students the following three years. Construction of the present permanent buildings was started March 5, 1915 at a ground-breaking ceremony. The new building was completed in August, 1916; furniture and equipment were in place by the end of the month and the normal school opened in its new home on September 11, 1916. A special dedication ceremony was held on the campus November 17, 1916. The legislative session of 1921 abolished state normal schools and in their place established teachers' colleges. This change made possible the addition of four-year courses leading to the A.B. degree and giving a much broader range of training. 11 /
Yearbook Title | 1961 The Campus 50th Anniversary Edition |
Date Published | 1961 |
Organization | Issued by Associated Students of Fresno State Normal School, June 1912-1921; Associated Students of State Teachers and Junior College of Fresno, June 1921; Associated Students of Fresno State College, 1922-1971; Alumni Association of California State University, Fresno, 1976-1991. |
Location | Fresno, CA |
Source | Ron and Bob Byrd, Co-editors. |
Rights | Published by the Associated Student Body, Fresno State College, Fresno California. |
Yearbook Title | 1961 The Campus 50th Anniversary Edition |
Date Published | 1961 |
Organization | Issued by Associated Students of Fresno State Normal School, June 1912-1921; Associated Students of State Teachers and Junior College of Fresno, June 1921; Associated Students of Fresno State College, 1922-1971; Alumni Association of California State University, Fresno, 1976-1991. |
Location | Fresno, CA |
Transcript | GRAPE VINES graced the front of the college shortly after completion. H. A. Barkelew donated 10 acres—mostly in vines—for the new campus in 1912. It was an extension of Van Ness Avenue, a half mile north of the city limits. The campus was dedicated November 17, 1916. THE INNER COURT of the $350,000 Fresno State Normal School nears completion on March 9, 1916. The school today is the Fresno City College. ARTHUR G. WAHLBERG, professor emeritus of music, is the only living member of the 1911 faculty. FIRST CAMPUS IS LOCATED ON VINEYARD SITE By donation the normal school acquired ten acres of land just north of the city limits for the purpose of erecting buildings. The legislature of 1913 appropriated $10,000 for the purchase of an additional five-acre tract adjacent" to the original site. Two other appropriations were made by the same legislature; first, $10,000 for the improvement of the new site and erection of temporary buildings, next, $370,000 for the construction of permanent buildings. On the site of the present campus, which was a dying vineyard in 1913, frame buildings were erected and at the end of the summer vacation in September the normal school moved into its new home. The wooden buildings were the class rooms and laboratories for the students the following three years. Construction of the present permanent buildings was started March 5, 1915 at a ground-breaking ceremony. The new building was completed in August, 1916; furniture and equipment were in place by the end of the month and the normal school opened in its new home on September 11, 1916. A special dedication ceremony was held on the campus November 17, 1916. The legislative session of 1921 abolished state normal schools and in their place established teachers' colleges. This change made possible the addition of four-year courses leading to the A.B. degree and giving a much broader range of training. 11 / |
Source | Ron and Bob Byrd, Co-editors. |
Rights | Published by the Associated Student Body, Fresno State College, Fresno California. |
|
|
|
A |
|
C |
|
D |
|
F |
|
G |
|
H |
|
I |
|
J |
|
L |
|
M |
|
P |
|
R |
|
S |
|
T |
|
U |
|
W |
|
Y |
|
|
|